Desperate Measures Taken by Grandmother for Custody

In most parts of the world’s cultures, grandparents play an important role in the life of a child. In many cases, in the absence of a parent, the grandparent may assume clear parenting skills. While conflicts may be expected in such cases, these extended family relationships can teach the child much about life and relationships. Or not, in some cases.

A 58-year-old grandmother drove all the way to Texas in an attempt to see her granddaughter to tell her she loved her and wanted to buy a house nearby in order to be closer. Police say she was so desperate to get custody of the child she gave the girl drugs to take to school to prove her current custody situation was not in the child’s best interest. Police report the woman planted four grams of cocaine on her 9-year-old granddaughter, which she was instructed to take to Pioneer Elementary School to show her teachers.

The grandmother blamed the drugs on the girl’s father but the child was too afraid to speak out against him. Instead she was taken away in handcuffs and spoke through tears. She asked that her granddaughter be given a message of a grandmother’s love. Her message to her grandchild may have been sincere but her actions were questionable.

The suspect told police she was afraid for her grandchild and loves her too much to have anything bad happen to her. She feels the girl’s innocence has been taken away and she has lost all chance of seeing her.

Most likely, any judge in Texas would agree, as the grandmother has been charged with child abuse. She had previously had limited custody. Now she has none.

Child custody is a serious issue in a divorce. In some cases, a grandparent may be awarded legal custody but only if this is deemed in the best interests of the child. In the trauma of divorce, the decision of who minds the kids should not be taken lightly.

Source:, “Police: Texas grandmother gave drugs to granddaughter” No author given, Oct. 18, 2013

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More