Mental Health Issues Family Law

Understanding How Mental Health Issues Can Impact Divorce in sugar land, tx

Helping Clients Throughout Fort Bend, Harris & Brazoria Counties

Mental health issues frequently lead to the dissolution of a marriage. They can also result from or be exacerbated by separation and divorce. It is important for all family members involved in a divorce to understand that parents, former spouses and children often require therapy and care during this highly emotional time.

At the Tracton Law Firm, PLLC, in Sugar Land, our attorney and legal staff have the experience, knowledge and compassion necessary to work with clients who are struggling with mental health issues such as depression, bipolar disorder and alcohol or drug abuse problems.

Seeking Help Can Benefit Your Custody Case

Sometimes, parents become nervous that admitting they are receiving counseling or taking medication for a mental illness will negatively impact the outcome of a child custody dispute. In truth, the best thing you can do to positively affect the outcome of your case is to be completely honest and open.

Most courts will not take a negative view of someone who is seeking treatment for his or her mental health condition, including taking prescribed medications, assuming the treatment is working. A mental health diagnosis is not an issue that will preclude custody or visitation. It can be more damaging if you are found to be hiding treatment or if you are not following through with counseling or prescribed medication

Utilizing A Wealth Of Resources

Our firm works closely with a network of mental health experts who have the skills, ability and resources to conduct consistently accurate and sound mental health evaluations. I refer clients in need of counseling to experienced mental health professionals who can help them work through the tough emotional issues that often accompany a divorce.

If you have questions regarding mental health issues and family law in Texas, I invite you to schedule an Initial Consultation with a lawyer who has extensive experience in the area by calling (281) 962-7738 or using the contact form on this website.