Modifying the Child Custody Order May Be Wise

It is not easy to care for a child full-time. When a judge awards custody to one parent, it is likely because the other parent appears to have some difficulties that would make it almost impossible for them to care for a child. However, this doesn’t mean that circumstances can’t change, and the parent with custody may no longer be seen as the better fit for the child. Parents who notice that something may not be right with their child’s other parent, or the child, should consider requesting to modify the child custody order.

The following are reasons a judge may allow parents to modify the custody order:

  • A parent has a medical condition that prevents them from properly caring for the child.
  • Parent has an issue with drugs or alcohol.
  • Parent plans to relocate to a different city or state.
  • Parent does not spend quality time with their child.

It is optimal for children to have both parents caring for them. However, if the parent they live with full-time is not able to do so, something needs to be done. If it is in the best interests of the child that child custody be modified, then it is something that the judge will recognize and agree with. The goal is to make sure the child is taken care of, so parents should understand that until the circumstances have changed that they will have to be okay with their child going to live with his or her other parent.

Whenever parents have an issue with child custody and how things are being handled with their child, they should not hesitate to speak up. If they can’t resolve the issue on their own, then they should seek the help of someone knowledgeable and professional, who can guide them in the right direction. An attorney at the Law Office of Michael D. Tracton may be able to assist any parent with their child custody issue.

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More