Why May a Judge Award Fixed Visitation?

Child custody is an issue that can cause many parents to become emotional and stressed. Since there are often disagreements about this topic, it is not surprising that many parents head to court because they simply cannot agree on a child custody arrangement. In some situations, parents may want one thing, but they find out that a judge did not agree with them, and the outcome is not what they expected.

Parents who pursue sole or joint custody of their child may be upset and shocked when a judge only awards them fixed visitation. As with any legal matter, there are a number of things that the court will examine before they make a decision. Depending on what they find, awarding one parent fixed visitation, which is a set time that one parent is allowed to visit his or her children, may seem fair and a bit more realistic than awarding them sole or joint custody.

Should a parent be awarded fixed visitation, there is a chance that the relationship between the parents and the child’s best interests were taken into consideration. Sometimes, when two parents are hostile and aren’t always cooperative, a judge may feel as though it is best for one parent to receive fixed visitation. This arrangement also gives the children a bit more stability than other arrangements could, so this could be seen as a better option to the courts, even though parents may not always agree.

Whenever parents have a disagreement about child custody, they may consider contacting an attorney. It is not always easy for parents to agree on the terms of their custody arrangement, but it is possible. With the assistance of an attorney, parents can work toward resolving their issues and finding an arrangement that works best for them and their child instead of going to court and letting someone else decide for them.

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More