Visitation May Be the Better Option for Some Parents

It is not easy being a parent. Whether or not two people are ready to have a child, they have to be prepared to take on the responsibilities that go along with raising that child. Unfortunately, not all people are able to prepare themselves in the ways that are necessary. For that reason, when parents are discussing a child custody arrangement, the parent who is not the primary care provider may be better off only having visitation.

When a parent thinks of visitation, they may not be happy about it. In fact, they may feel it is unfair. It is likely that parents will examine a number of custody arrangements when they are attempting to work together. Since the goal is to find the best option for the child, they have to be realistic about the arrangement. 

It would be ideal for parents to have joint custody, but in some situations, visitation is better because one parent may not be responsible enough to take on the many duties of a parent. However, visitation means that they can spend time with the child and pay child support until they are able to support them the way the custodial parent does. At the end of the day, if parents cannot agree, a judge will decide. Should the judge agree with the custodial parent that visitation is the best option for the time being, then both parents have no choice but to follow the judge’s orders.

Child custody is not something to be taken lightly. Should you feel as though your child’s other parent is not ready to have the child part time and that they need time to prepare themselves, visitation may be the best child custody arrangement for the time being. An attorney with the Law Office of Michael D. Tracton can help you make this decision and assist you in court should you and the other parent of your child be unable to work together on this issue.

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More