Addiction Can Play a Role in Determining Custody

Being married to someone with a substance abuse problem can be very difficult. So often, individuals with drug problems are not bad people, but their behavior is dictated by their need to satisfy the demands of their addiction. As such, addicts can be unpredictable and even dangerous to themselves and others.

A drug addiction can place a terrible strain on a relationship. So much so that if the person with the problem does not take corrective measures, a parting of the ways may become necessary. This is especially true if there are children involved.

It is absolutely critical for children to have a stable environment in which to live. And in many cases, it is impossible for a parent who is caught in the trap of substance abuse to provide a child with a safe and secure life.

If you are a parent who has decided to end your relationship with your child’s other parent due to his or her addiction, you may be worried about what is to follow. Of course, your primary concern is for the health and well-being of your child. And certainly, a parent’s addiction could pose a very serious threat to a child.

But typically, if it can be demonstrated that a parent has a substance abuse problem, then his or her custody or visitation rights will be suspended by the court. But you will need to prepare a case that clearly delineates why the child’s other parent is unfit to continue in his or her role as a caretaker.

The process of separation or divorce is almost always emotionally complicated, but this can be even more so if one of the parties has a chemical dependency. When pursuing the custodial rights of your child, you can likely benefit from the guidance of an experienced Texas family law attorney. An attorney can work to help you make sure that your child’s best interests are protected.

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More