Some Same-Sex Marriages Thrive While Others May Falter

Just around a year ago, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling that legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states. News of this ruling created jubilation across the country, especially in states such as Texas, where marriage between gay partners had been prohibited. And many happy couples wasted no time before tying the knot.

For most of these couples, moving from domestic partnerships to marriage made perfect sense and their relationships are now stronger than ever. However, there are other couples who may have discovered that marriage was not really their best move.

Perhaps it was the excitement of the moment that motivated some couples to say “I do.” Or maybe couples whose relationships were unsteady hoped that an official marriage would set things on a better path. But regardless of their reasons for getting married, unhappy partners may now be realizing that it is best that they go their separate ways.

If you are currently considering getting a same-sex divorce, it is important to understand that the process is pretty much the same as it is for opposite-sex couples. But there may be some specific factors that could create added conflicts.

For example, if you and your partner lived together for a long time prior to getting married, then property division could be problematic. This is because without having been legally bound to one another, there can be questions regarding which assets should be considered marital property and subject to division.

Attorney Michael D. Tracton offers services for individuals who are seeking to end a same-sex marriage. He has experience handling all aspects of divorce litigation, including resolving settlement issues. He has the ability to assess your situation and work on your behalf in an effort to help you get the settlement you deserve.

Related Posts
  • Pride Event Features Fun for LGBT Families and Friends Read More
  • Consistent Relationship with Child Affects Custody Case Outcomes Read More
  • Changes in Expenses Can Call for Changes in Child Support Read More