Children Should Be Able to Express Themselves Regarding Custody

If you are a mother who has recently dissolved your marriage, you may rightfully have some apprehension regarding how your child is handling the situation. Of course, you understand that the divorce is intended to create a more stable situation for everyone involved. But it is a big change for a child when his or her parents are no longer in the same home.

Fortunately, there are some things you can do to help your child make this very challenging transition. For example, it can be very beneficial to allow your child to express his or her feelings about what is happening. There will be times when she or he may become very upset about the new circumstances. And this could be inflamed if the noncustodial parent falls short in the area of custody obligations.

A missed visit could hurt the child’s feelings and could lead him or her to say some very unpleasant things about the other parent. While it may be tempting to find excuses for the other parent’s mistakes, a therapist recommends that doing so could inhibit the child’s feelings. According to the therapist, it is better to give the child the chance to vent.

The fact is, there are times when parents cannot meet their custody obligations. But if the circumstances are such that it is simply impossible to maintain the terms of the agreement, then a change may be in order. Likewise, a modification may be necessary if a parent chooses to act in ways that are clearly not in the child’s best interests.

If you are interested in modifying your child custody agreement, a Texas family law attorney could offer you useful guidance and representation. An experienced attorney can advise you on the steps you can take to do what is best for your child.

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More