What to Do If Experiencing Parental Alienation

It is always recommended that divorcing parents try to amicably discuss their custody arrangement with the best interests of the child in mind. The demeanor in which the parents handle the custody decisions can have positive or negative effects on the child. Sometimes, one parent can use tactics to push the other parent away from the child. This is called parental alienation.

Parental alienation is characterized by one parent using negativity toward the child to push the other parent away from the child. It is recognized by several characteristics including:

  1. One parent continuously degrades the other parent
  2. One parent is the scapegoat for everything
  3. The child feels guilty whenever he or she expresses love toward the alienated parent

These are just a few signs of parental alienation. The end result does not bode well for the child or the long-term relationship with either parent.

Parental alienation is a tactic sometimes used by one or both parents during a high-conflict divorce to push a child away from one parent. The end goal of the parent is to instill negative feelings about the opposing parent in the child’s mind. Parental alienation is considered a form of child abuse. This is because of the long-lasting negative effects it can have on a child’s psyche and relationship with the alienated parent.

If you are in a situation where you believe you are being punished by your divorcing spouse through parental alienation, it is important to contact an attorney like the experienced professionals at the Law Office of Michael D. Tracton P.C. It is in your best interests, but more importantly, your child’s best interests to have a positive relationship with both parents during and after a divorce. Therapy is always a great remedial tool in cases where parental alienation is a factor. This can always be petitioned for in an ongoing court case.

Related Posts
  • Tackling Summer Vacation as Co-parents Read More
  • What to Do if Your Children’s Mother Does Not Allow You to Visit Read More
  • My Spouse Wants to Move Our Child Out of the State; What Can I Do? Read More