Raising a child can be a costly task. A child from newborn to majority requires much, and for single parents here and other states, it can be difficult to provide these needs on his or her own. Thus, in these predicaments, it is often necessary to seek child support from the other parent. This financial support ensures the needs of the child are met by providing monthly, weekly or yearly payments.

When child support is established, the parents involved often think that is it. However, it is very likely that parents will need to revisit this order. In some cases, this is because circumstances have changed. This would require modification, which helps address the increasing or decreasing income of the parents. A child support order may also be revisited if the parent with this financial obligation refuses to pay or is behind on their payments.

When a noncustodial parent does not comply with the order, this can present many challenges. Not only is the child not obtaining the financial support they are afforded, but also the custodial parent is left to cover these expenses on his or her own. In order to address this matter, the custodial parent can seek enforcement.

There are many options when it comes to enforcement. The court could require an employer to deduct the amount from their paycheck though wage withholding, they could intercept their federal income tax refund checks, a lien could be filed against his or her property or other assets, his or her driver’s license could be suspended, as well as professional, hunting or fishing licenses. Finally, the custodial parent could file a lawsuit against the noncustodial parent, seeking enforcement of the order. Depending on the circumstances of the matter, the nonpaying parent could face jail time as a sentence.

Whether one is filing for child support, seeking modification or are enforcing a current order, it is important to fully understand the matter and one’s rights. This not only helps one secure the child support owed to them, but also protect the interests of the child as well.