Custody Issues (Mother)

What is custody? Custody is the legal right to make decisions for your child or children based on the children's best interests after a divorce or dissolution of a civil union. There are two primary types of custody, also referred to as conservatorship, arrangements in Texas.

Sole-managing conservatorship: All decisions, unless limited by the court order, are made by one parent to determine the child's well-being and decision-making ability including primary residence, medical treatments, receiving child support and much more.

Joint-managing conservatorship: Some or all decisions are jointly made by both the mother and father or legal guardian. However, most of the time, one parent will have primary possession of the child or children and the other will not have a set schedule for visitation.

Depending on your family's circumstances and each parent's credentials, the best interest of the child will be used as a standard in determining the exact legal conservatorship arrangement awarded. The court will be looking at each parent's finances, current relationship with the children and who can provide a safe and stable home for the child.

Understanding The Basic Rights Of Every Mother

After a legal separation or divorce, many other important family matters arise, including custody issues for married or unmarried mothers' rights as well as fathers. Depending on your status as a single mother or married mother, the state of Texas has established some basic rights for you.

First and foremost, it is important that you know your fundamental rights granted to you. If you are a single mother, you are automatically granted sole legal and physical custody at the time your child was born. If you were a married mother at the time of your child's birth, then you and your former husband were automatically granted joint custody by the state, as long as he is the legal and paternal father.

Factors considered for awarding custody to mothers include:

  • Current relationship with child or children
  • Employment
  • Sufficiency of estate assets
  • Finances
  • Mental and physical health

If you experience a change in circumstances because you lost your job or become ill or disabled and you can no longer meet your parental obligations, you may need to request a modification for your spousal support/maintenance or child support. Contact me to help discuss your situation and how I can assist you in petitioning for a modification.

Protecting Your Right As A Mother

Here is what you can expect from the Law Office of Michael D. Tracton, P.C.:

  • Free initial consultation to discuss your case
  • Detailed assessment on the pros and cons of your case
  • Personal guidance, attention and sensitivity to your legal matters
  • Questions answered and communicated promptly
  • In-depth analysis of the best options to take to reach your goals
  • Skilled and creative negotiations
  • Aggressive representation

A Caring Approach To Mothers' Rights

Conveniently located in Sugar Land, Texas, the Law Office of Michael D. Tracton, P.C., offers clients a comfortable environment to consult with a professional and result-oriented lawyer. As your personal attorney, I will work with you to help you get through your difficult time, one step at a time. With a sympathetic ear, I will listen to your concerns and work to find a solution that works for your unique case.

Contact me today for a free initial consultation at 281-201-1481.

Major credit cards are welcomed.